• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (for Diabetes Undone use only one tablespoon)
• 2 cups onion, chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 red bell pepper, chopped
• 2 tablespoons chili powder (reduce for a less spicy chili)
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
• ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and ½ cup liquid reserved
• 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted tomato sauce
• salt, to taste
• 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
• Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and add the onions, garlic, and bell peppers. Sauté until the onions are translucent and soft, about 10 minutes.
• Add the seasonings (chili powder, oregano, cumin, and cayenne) and stir for 2 minutes.
• Then, add the tomato sauce, beans, and ½ cup of reserved black bean liquid. Bring the chili to a boil, stirring occasionally.
• When the chili has reached a boil, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until flavors blend and thicken to your liking, at least 15 minutes.
• Season to taste with salt to taste, then top with chopped cilantro, if desired.
Ready in about 45 minutes
Makes 6-8 servings
Credits: Adventist Review, 12 January 2018