- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 7 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup vegan butter, cold
- 1 cup cranberries, dried
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup soy creamer
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons water
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- ⅓ cup vegan butter
- 2-3 tablespoons jelly (orange is best, but you can use any flavor)
- Combine the ground flaxseed and water. Set aside until you’re ready to mix the dry and wet ingredients together.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 7 teaspoons sugar, orange peel, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the cranberries, orange juice, cream, and flaxseed/water mixture. Add to flour mixture and stir until a soft dough forms.
- On a floured surface, gently knead 6-8 times. Pat dough into an 8 inch circle. Cut into 10-12 wedges.
- Separate wedges and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (optional). Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes.
- At 12 minutes brush the scones with the glaze, then put back in the oven for about 3 more minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool. Serve butter with the warm scones. Enjoy!
- Ready in about 30 minutes
Makes 10-12 scones
Source: Adventist Review, 23 December 2016; www.adventistreview.org